Food Friday: Easter Recipes from 1971


From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega

If you're like me you might be wondering what to cook on Sunday. It's a good time to have some ham but what else might go well with an Easter Sunday dinner?

Well, lucky for me I have The Beta Sigma Phi Holiday Cookbook (circa 1971). "900 Favorite Recipes Plus a Collection of Festive Menus and Ideas for Holiday Entertaining Throughout the Year." And they truly do mean throughout the year. There's even Lincoln's Birthday recipes. (Boy, I wish I had seen that a few months ago).

In all seriousness I do love these cookbooks by The Beta Sigma Phi because they include the women's names, chapter and place. What a great source for women. And these are women from all over the United States and Canada. (They also have international chapters.)

Spring Bonnet Cake. From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega

So for dessert you may want to try this cake. It might also be good for leftover jelly beans or gummy candies. The recipe is part of the narrative, so it begins at the bottom of the first page and then continues on the top of the next.

From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega

From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega

And of course I can't just give you a boring ham recipe. So I share with you three casserole recipes which seems like an easier option after making that cake. Now I will say that the Macaroni Surprise Casserole Casserole (sic) would not be a happy surprise for me since I don't like peas. But it does have bacon which makes everything better.

From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega


On Monday I will answer that age old question, what do I do with all of these eggs?

Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular Posts